Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ran


Ran (1985)
IMDB #143 [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/]

The Gist:
I was correct when I assumed I would like Throne of Blood better than this film, but I must say it is a case of personal preference. Ran is late stage Kurosawa's epic masterpiece, once again emulating Shakespeare through the tale of King Lear. Throughout the film I was most intrigued by a continued stylistic choice from the director that emphasized a contrast between stasis and movement. He had several shots of castles standing stolid as clouds blew past at great speed, he opens his film with characters that seem so still I thought the frames were actually stills, but they're not, and the characters begin to move. This second choice is repeated again and again, as he blocks his people in a motionless frame and then allows them to breathe to life. In a way, I think this is oddly reflective of the Japanese culture, an idea of perceived passivity with an underlying current of emotion and potential turmoil. This aspect of the culture is reinforced through the plot of King Lear, where the undercurrent of the character's motives amidst silence and obedience becomes the driving force of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment