Friday, August 20, 2010

Stalag 17


Stalag 17 (1953)

The Gist:
Interesting to see another POW film so quickly after Grand Illusion, here a POW film that comments via voiceover that no one's made a POW film before and what an awful shame that is. I guess the guy doing the voice over doesn't watch much French film, neh? Anyway, with this film's position on the IMDB list I thought I might see another enjoyable classic like Great Escape and what I got was a film that took a while to grow on me. I think this is primarily because all the characters were caricatures and frankly unlikable. I did end up liking William Holden's character, but that took a while to take too. Anyway, once the film got into its intrigue of the informant was, its pace improved considerably and I forgave the two-dimensional characters. Maybe I'm too hard on it because I had just watched Grand Illusion and that film mopped the floor with this one. Maybe that's not fair, but so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment