Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Darling Clementine


My Darling Clementine (1946)
[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038762/]

The Gist:
Is it sad that this is the first John Ford western I've seen? I think I might be able to name all the westerns I've ever seen on both hands (let's see: Unforgiven, High Noon, Good-Bad-Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon A Time in the West, The Quick and the Dead, Butch Cassidy...there's probably others). Anyway, I'm seriously lacking on the western front. As far as this one goes, it's quite good but I kept wanting Henry Fonda to shave his stupid mustache. John Ford paints his western with beautiful noir-like shadows (similar to how he shot Grapes of Wrath), and sets a glorious build to the iconic shoot out at O.K. Corral. Henry Fonda is excellent as the soft spoken, vengeance seeking, temporary sheriff and Doc Holiday is the quintessential sorrowful martyr of the west. There's really nothing more you could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment