Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tyson


Tyson (2009)
[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032821/]

The Gist:
I don't know much about boxing. I know a decent amount about Ali because I find him fascinating, and by extension I know a bit about Joe Fraiser and George Foreman. Then I know a little about Sugar Ray Robinson and Jake LaMotta because I watched Raging Bull. And as far as Mike Tyson goes, I know he bit a man's ear and was endlessly parodied for it, and I know I played the NES game Mike Tyson's Punch Out a lot as a kid. That's about all the boxing knowledge I retain. Imagine my surprise when I found out that Mike Tyson was something of a tragic mythic figure. The film is beautiful, a portrayal of a man inherently conflicted. I don't want to ruin anything else about the film because I didn't know anything going in, and I think it impacted me differently than if I had known more about the path of his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment