Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rebecca


Rebecca (1940)
IMDB #97 [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032976/]

The Gist:
I spent a good deal of time being annoyed with this film only to find out that I hadn't any need to be. And I don't know how to explain that without giving information about the plot so in case anyone does stumble upon this (doubtful), I will reserve my comments. I will only say that this is a Hitchcock film that doesn't quite feel like his early work in England and doesn't quite feel like the better known suspense films he would be known for in the later stages of his career. I suppose it's a bit of a transitional film then, and as such it makes sense that this is the only film of his to win an oscar for best picture (after all, he was never quite their taste as it were). I don't think it's one of his best films, but it is very engrossing, especially as things came to a close. Not so much in suspense, more because of a genuine interest in the characters. I credit the book more for this though, and can't help but feel that something was lost in the translation which is mere speculation having not actually read the book. It's not that the film was bad, merely that I have some odd feeling that the book could be incredible and the film couldn't quite keep up tonally at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment