Saturday, November 28, 2009

Swordsman 2


Swordsman 2 (1992)
[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103295/]

The Gist:
This film is amazing, I would just like to state that outright. While other recently watched martial arts films have had borderline ridiculous plots, this film's plot just seems right. It strikes the perfect balance of over the top wuxia and comedic nonchalance and while I was a little disappointed in the mild tonal shift toward the second half of the film I still felt it was delivered with great skill. What I like most is this a likely forefather of the gloriously ridiculous anime and manga and several more recent martial arts flicks that have crazed names for different techniques that they shout out at odd intervals (see: "he's using the flying mountain sword technique!" or something like that), where serious themes of love, life, death, betrayal, grief, and so on are mixed with copious comedic relief. Basically this is the first wuxia film that feels truly connected to one of the first genres that got me into to film.

On Another Note:
I think I might be able to watch any kind of old school kung fu or old school wuxia film. Bizarre plots and bad english subs often only add to its charm. That's some genre film that I'm pretty safe with.

No comments:

Post a Comment