Friday, February 26, 2010

Tokyo Story


Tokyo Story (1953)
[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046438/]

The Gist:
The film is a slow burn for realist junkies, about an elderly couple visiting their family in Tokyo. It deals with age and the gradual separation between parents and their children, and moves with a very slow and deliberate pace. Long story short, it took me three separate sittings to finish the film. I don't know, it's really beautiful but I think I need a little more dramatization in my realist films. I guess that makes me more of a formalist than a realist, which fits given my favorite films. I will certainly watch more Ozu films because I think there's a lot of wealth to the picture, and undoubtedly to the rest of his canon as well. But I may have to steel myself for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment