Saturday, October 17, 2009

All That Jazz


All that Jazz (1979)
[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078754/]

The Gist:
A dizzying, frenetic film of great ambition and vision. Easily on my top five of favorite musicals of all time. Possibly on my top two of favorite musicals. I'll have to watch it again. Why is it so good? Because of its weird structure, its fascinating use of repetition and how the repetition evolves new meaning as the film goes on, the great character study of an artistically obsessive Broadway directer who is apparently on the brink of death, and so on. Through these weird little exposition scenes with a woman that represents some aspect of the afterlife, we get insight into the man's thoughts and actions, all his anxieties and his truthful feelings of different relationships. Outside of fantasy we get a portrayal of man who is a god in his own world but is incessantly plagued by artistic insecurity and an inability to connect with others. I could go on but I don't want to spoil the film. I feel like with some films you should just go into it with very little background information (which is how I went into this one).

No comments:

Post a Comment