Saturday, October 31, 2009

Experimental Film Day

Today (not actually today but almost a week ago) I watched a series of experimental films in my film class, which I will collectively count as one film entry. This action will be legitimized in my upcoming post of a definitive set of rules so that I don't cheat too much in this project. Anyway, I'll talk about my three favorite films that I saw.

The Dark Tower by Stan Brackhage (1999)


the dark tower - stan brakhage

a-lex | MySpace Video


I liked this because of its frenetic feel, how the patterns gained personality and rhythm, how the film isn't trying to convey any deep message but simply is just trying to register an emotional response, is trying to musical without music. I think it's beautiful.

Passage à l'acte by Francis Girod (1993)



For some reason I find this film disturbing, but it's one of the films I remember best from the class. It takes moments, seconds in time, and twists and distorts their meaning. It's fascinating, but I don't like the feeling of whatever new meaning is reached through the manipulation.

A Movie by Bruce Conner (1958)

See Film Here

This was probably the best film I saw. It's a found footage project that explores the relationship of violence and chaos. He begins the film in a comedic and almost jovial fashion but exposes the human individualistic causality of violence by the films end. Cool shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment