Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance


Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310775/]

The Gist:
Man this movie had some brilliant fucking moments. As a whole, it takes on a sort of piecemeal feel to it, only Chan-wook Park's second film so its understandable that it has some serious flaws, both aesthetically and in terms of plot. However, the visuals at times take a form of pure poetic raw power and the visceral story telling is uncompromising, often brilliant. I left the film feeling brutalized, feeling like I had watched some twisted piece of genius that wasn't fully formed or realized. It was an amazing film overall, and I would write about the plot but I don't think I should. Maybe I'll just say there's lots of people dying, it's fairly wrenching, it kind of made my soul feel dirty. Watch it if you think you can, but I would say it will probably challenge your threshold in "fucked up-ness". That's all I'll say.

No comments:

Post a Comment